Friday, December 21, 2007

Flickr To Add Photo Editing Program Picnik

I always enjoy looking at Flickr. In my opinion Flickr was one of the first sites that really made Web 2.o mainstream. Before Flickr, searching for pictures was a a lot more difficult and boring. The "tag" concept really revolutionized the process. I love the map feature that allows me to see where on a map, the pictures were taken.

Flickr plans to add photo editing program Picnik that allows users to crop, resize, and rotate pictures in real-time and select from basket of shapes and special effects. All the photo editing in Flickr will be done within the browser with no downloads required and nothing to install.

I think that this is a long overdue feature that Flickr should have from the very beginning but even now I am sure that a lot of their customers will take advantage of it and use it. Libraries with Flickr accounts could also benefit from an easy to learn photo editing program, instead of paying big bucks to learn Photoshop or Fireworks.

No comments: